Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Liven Up Your Class with Quizlet Live!


French II Students Engaged in Quizlet Live

By this point in the semester my students were becoming tired of my typical games and activities. I needed an activity that would engage all my students and add a new level of energy and excitement into the classroom. I had recently read that Quizlet  had created a new activity -  Quizlet Live. After watching the introduction video and demo, I decided that I had to try this activity with my students.
French I Students Collaborating on Quizlet Live

With Quizlet Live, the students work together to find the term that matches the definition since none of the students have all of the answers. The activity forces the students to communicate and collaborate with their classmates. Each class member must participate in order to help the team.  In addition to learning to work in teams through collaboration and communication, the students also learn the vocabulary and grammar by focusing on accuracy, rather than speed. If a student answers incorrectly, the team is forced to start from the very beginning of the activity.

Join Code for the Students to Access Quizlet Live


When I introduced the activity to the students, I was surprised to see how engaged they were in the learning. They were truly collaborating and communicating with their teammates. In addition, they were learning French vocabulary and grammar. The students found the activity to be fun and competitive. They loved the team aspect, especially the fact the I continually switched the teams. Quizlet randomly selects the teams, thus creating groups of students who may not typically work together. The students were open to this and those who were stronger students stepped up to help those who were not as strong. The teamwork and collaboration among the students was awesome and inspiring. I loved when my 4th block students walked into class asking if they were going to get to do the same activity (referring to Quizlet) that my French 1 students had completed. This excitement continued as the students participated in Quizlet Live. Using Quizlet Live has definitely improved the communication, collaboration, and engagement among my students.
Students react to Quizlet Live

I would definitely encourage all teachers who are looking for ways to make the learning come alive to create a Quizlet Live set. It will totally change the energy level in the classroom for the better. If you are unsure of where to start with Quizlet Live, check out the following tutorial.

After such a positive experience with Quizlet Live, I will continue to use it in my classroom as a way to review vocabulary and grammar in a fun and engaging manner.

By using Quizlet Live, I know that not only are my students learning French, but they are also learning to collaborate with each other in order to achieve a common goal. Even though the students are having a lot of fun while competing in Quizlet Live, there is definitely learning taking place. At the end of each game, Quizlet Live shows the students what they missed and need to work on, as well as what they learned/mastered. This type of feedback is great for the students, as well as the teacher. Overall, Quizlet Live has brought a positive change to my classroom. I am already working on creating more sets of Quizlet Live for my upcoming chapters.
Students work together using Quizlet Live

These videos show how engaged the students are while engaging in Quizlet Live.

Definitely try out Quizlet Live and liven up your classroom! You won't regret it! I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences with Quizlet Live. 



1 comment:

  1. Hi Heidi, have you tried Quizalize yet (www.quizalize.com)? I'd love to know what you think and how we can improve it to make it a more useful classroom tool. Quizalize was in fact the inspiration for and forerunner to Quizlet Live and so I'd love to know how they compare. Best wishes, Charles Wiles, Founder of Zzish, creator of Quizalize.

    ReplyDelete