Wednesday, January 20, 2016

No Paper, No Problem!


Today was my students' first unit exam and to their surprise, there was no paper involved! Some students expressed concern, but for the most part they were open to this new form of assessment in my classroom. To make a completely paperless test, I simply created a Google form for the students to record their responses in and uploaded that form to Google Classroom. Then I uploaded the exam as a view only document on Google classroom. The students could easily have both windows open side-by-side for easy access and viewing. 

After the students completed the exams, I opened the students' responses in the corresponding Google Sheet. Using the Flubaroo add-on, I was to quickly grade the exams and give the students immediate feedback. I cannot say enough good things about Flubaroo - it's easy to use and eliminates all the papers teachers used to carry home to grade. In addition, I can send the students their score via their email or Google Drive. My students loved getting the immediate feedback on their exams. By the end of the class period, all of my students knew their grade on the exam and I had no papers to bring home to grade! A win win for everyone!

Following the exam, the students began working on their new vocabulary words. Again, I went paperless for this assignment. I posted the vocabulary list as a Google Doc in Google Classroom and made a copy for each student. Prior to this semester, I had given each student a paper copy of the vocabulary list, which the students frequently lost before the end of the unit. With the change to paperless, my students can now access their vocabulary from their Google Drive at any time from anywhere. I definitely feel this is going to be a positive change in my classroom and am looking forward to continuing the paperless journey. 

The moral of today's lesson, no paper, no problem! 



No comments:

Post a Comment