Saturday, October 3, 2015

Letting Students Take the Lead

After reading Matt Miller's book, Ditch That Textbook, I became more inspired to really let me students take the lead on some of the activities that I had previously taken the lead on. Usually, I was the one who would lead the class in playing trashball by developing the questions for the students to answers. However, I realized that with the use of Google Sheets and the Chromebooks in my classroom, I could easily have my students create their own interactive Jeopardy board that we could play in class.

The students got into groups and selected a category. Once they had selected their category, they needed to develop the questions for that category. They could also include video questions using YouTube or images in their questions. The students absolutely loved taking the lead and taking responsibility for their own learning. This activity served as a great way for them to review for their exam. I also noticed that the students scored better on this exam than they had on previous exams. Whether the Jeopardy game had anything to do with it, I'm not sure, but I would like to think it did.

Here is the link for the Jeopardy template: Jeopardy Game

Let your students take the lead and see how they will become responsible for their own learning.


2 comments:

  1. Heidi,
    That is a really creative and fun idea. Did you have a rubric that allowed you to grade each person in the group so that individuals couldn't put all the work on one individual? How did you play the game with the class? If it was my groups turn, could I select my category if no other categories were left?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ted! In class, we use a buzzer system to play the game. So my students would not get their own questions, each period played Jeopardy using a board created by another block. We ran the game just like actual Jeopardy and the template will even keep score :) Students received a formative grade for completing the questions and each student in each group had to contribute. With Google, I can easily look at the revision history and see which students contributed and which did not.

    ReplyDelete